Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Thoughts on the Nation

The election is settled for our next President, and I think I'd like to share some thoughts.

Given my previously expressed economic and political views, many of you may be surprised at this entry.

I've been torn.  I could not vote for Obama.  I have ideological dissonance.  However, there are some promises that Barack Obama has made to which I look forward.  There are also some consequences of this election that I will welcome.  They follow:

1.  Alternative energy.  For those of you who are familiar with my employment, I see many things that involve the energy future of Arizona and America.  I am generally unhappy with the direction we have been pursuing.  My hope is that Barack will have the ability to achieve his clean energy transformation.  I would love to see the American innovative spirit dedicated to new-age geothermal, next-generation biofuels, and solar technologies.  I think that the one national action that can make any of this possible is an improved grid.  

2.  Taxes.  I have the underlying feeling that we're having a "read my lips" repeat.  But I would love to have reduced taxes for at least most of Americans.  (Mostly me.)

3. Education.  American children are at a disadvantage because of unqualified and underfunded instructors and instruction environments.  I don't know what the magic change needed is, but Barack has promised that it will come.  And I want it.  However, I fear that states want control over education, and I don't know if the federal powers will have the influence they would need.

4.  Unification.  Perhaps to overcome racial prejudices, Barack has been redundantly harping on unity and a lack of division.  He wants all parties, peoples, and places to join together in a fresh American push.  I like that.  But then I see the exit polls, where 97% of African-Americans support Barack Obama.  Perhaps it is a belief that Obama will bring them some sort of elusive equality.  In any case, I hope that this is the last time that we ever talk about anybody's race, gender, or religion in an election.  I want the result of this election to be that there aren't such rifts between the races.  In the name of fairness, equality, and unity, I think that a result of Barack's presidency should be that African-American voters never again need to be so one-sided toward any given party.  I don't know if this change will come through a reformation of the Republican party (which I would not oppose - but more on that later) or a change in the American psyche, but I want it either way.

5. Republican reformation.  I think that the Republican National Party would be stupid to believe that everything is okay.  It reminds me of what I have heard of the Democratic party in 1968.  There need to be changes in leadership.  I've stated before that the Republican party needs some rockstars.  My nominations are Mitt Romney, Colin Powell, Mike Huckabee, Aaron Schock, and John Boehner.  Of course, Sarah Palin and Rudy Giuliani are worth keeping around.  However, the image of the party and its spokespeople should be carefully guarded.  Unlike the Democrats, we do not have the ability to stand behind a Waxman or a Frank and expect to grow.  The goal should be to excite moderates by teaching sound principles.  I think that the unbridled power of the Democrats in government will leave some alienated moderates looking for a home.  I think that jumping back to Conservative Christians will only stretch out the hospital stay for Republican ideologies.

I do not wish to be negative, so I will only mention my national concerns that are expanded with the tone of this national election: taxes, budget, outsourcing, electricity prices, international trade breakdowns, reduction of healthcare quality, supreme court changes, and expansion of affirmative action.

I trust that the new government will not use swift and unreasonable legislation to alienate those who ideologically disagree.

Congratulations to those who have completed an historic, successful campaign.  I personally would like to thank those that have freely shared their thoughts and spent their time in defense of their beliefs and values, especially as they find that their views are contrary to those around them.

As for my thoughts on Arizona, that will be another post.

No comments: