Monday, January 5, 2009

Budgeting for Marrieds

So here's how it goes:

Of course, we all live on a basic budget.  We know how much we make and we can't spend more than that.  But we have our wish lists.  Usually, mine is full of electronic things that I enjoy while sitting on the couch.  Haylee wants things that are pretty.  Clothes, house decorations, etc.  Also girly books and disney movies.

Of course, my things are very expensive.  Like... Hundreds of dollars, minimum.  That represents many hours of sitting in a cubicle.

How can I possibly not feel guilty for buying those things, when I know perfectly well that buying these toys will have zero positive impact on my long-term financial situation?  I could be putting that extra money torwards paying off the car, student loans, or house.  But those electronic things are so fun.

I need(ed) a receiver.  After all, the speakers are already in the ceiling, just begging to be powered.  And how can you possibly run a surround sound system without a subwoofer?  And once I have my receiver, how can I possibly operate such an amazing system without a fancy remote?

Okay.  I've established that I need these items.  Now how do I possibly make myself feel better about buying these things?

The solution: I can convince Haylee to buy things, too.  That way, if the money is too tight, then it was a contributory effort.  It wasn't just my fault. 

Of course, the end result is that all of my toys cost a bit more than the actual price on the tag, since the total bill includes buying stuff for Haylee, too.

But the "home theater" is starting to be freakin' awesome.  And I figure we have until kids arrive in a few years before we have to be really frugal.

3 comments:

McKenzie said...

This sounds like great logic... I will have to try it on Luke!

Shellee said...

Ahhhh, the smell of rationalization. I can smell if from here, wait... it IS from here! Dang!!

Trevor said...

I get by buying things for Jessica that I want too and as long as its Pink she loves. Like an ipod, headset, and we are working on a Pink pistol :)