Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Preston's Birth Story Part 1

I need to write this stuff down before I forget!

I guess it all started when I went to see my doctor on my actual due date of Monday, August 1st. Michael was able to come with me. I was anticipating some kind of progression as far as labor goes. Unfortunately, I was nowhere near ready to have a baby (i.e. my cervix and the baby's head were super high and tight and I was dilated only 1 cm). And the pelvic exam hurt so bad. Needless to say, it was a horrible day. I had tried so hard not to look forward to my "due date" knowing full well that due dates pretty much mean NOTHING. But still, I was disappointed. So we walked around Ikea for 2 hours that night trying to get something going. I had only had some mild cramping occasionally and some tightness in my abdomen up to that point. My doctor fully expected to see me at my next appointment.

We scheduled my next appointment for Monday, August 8th at 8:15 a.m. I also got a call later that week to let me know that a time to be induced had also been scheduled the same day at 3 p.m. I was pretty ticked because I did not want to be induced, but I decided to keep the appointment just in case something was not okay with me or the baby at my appointment. And besides, it's not like they could make me be induced if I really didn't want to be.

That week, we kept walking and walking culminating in a 4-hour trek around Chandler Mall on Friday. Then we watched every single Harry Potter movie that weekend to help pass the time. On Sunday, during Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1, I was getting kicked and baby was rolling around a lot. I didn't think anything of it. Dun Dun Dun... foreshadowing.

No comments: